Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Murder House

I went to the dentist for my annual check up yesterday. Passed with flying colours naturally... the dentist noted that I have "very, very good teeth" hell yeah!

So while on this high I caved in to the pressure to go to the "Dental Hygenist" as well. What a rock solid waste of time (and money!) that was.

If you are unfamiliar with the role of the Dental Hygenist, they basically do the work that dentists once did with the orbital sander/polisher hoobly device etc etc. But clearly they are also in the pocket of Colgate and other such multinationals! Throughout the whole experience she tried pushing their products on me - you should try COLGATE mouthwash (apparently Listerine isnt as good as "COLGATE brand"), and COLGATE electric toothbrushes and COLGATE floss.

She didnt seem to get my joke when I asked if she was getting kick-backs from Colgate - so maybe this means she is??

What really made me laugh though, is that she did nothing other than what dentists used to do to your teeth before they created this position. Which made me think, did the Dental Hygenist role come about during the Nat Govts 1990s work-for-the-dole scheme? Was this just a 'make-work' exercise?

Whatever the background is to this role - I should write MUG on my forehead. Afterall it was me who shelled out $65 to be told after a barely five minute consultation that my teeth were "very, very good" and then paid out another $150 to the Hygenist for her Colgate sales pitch.

So a word of advice - Next time your dentist suggests a visit to the Dental Hygentist, say thanks, but no thanks and just pick up the Colgate brochure instead.

No comments: