Sunday, October 08, 2006

InDecision 08

No not NZ, but the US. Today I picked up a copy of The Daily Show's InDecision 04 - their coverage of the 2004 Presidential election.

As usual with The Daily Show, its fairly cutting satire - and with candidates like George W and John Kerry - they had a fair bit to work with!

W. cant stand again in 2008 - so there will be completely new candidates - which is nirvana for people like me!

So who's gonna run for the Republicans? (Bush's/bad guys)and what about the Democrats? (good guys)

Republicans
Arizona Senator John McCain is my front runner - stood against Bush in 2000 for the nomination. Former NY Mayor Rudi Giuliani is the other option, I think he's too close to the war/terror image. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice has been talked up, but I dont rate that idea. Governor Jeb Bush (the younger brother) could be a dark horse.

My pick - either a (President/Vice Pres) McCain/Bush or McCain/Rice tickets, although my money would be on the McCain/Bush - it covers both the centre/liberal ground (McCain), while keeping the religous right happy (Jeb Bush).

Democrats
After selecting such a pathetic-no backbone candidate in 2004n(John Kerry), they can only get better!

The current front runner is New York Senator and former First Lady Hillary Clinton. In theory this would be fantastic - forgetting the blowjobs, Clinton was a good President, and Hillary was a key ingredient of that administration. However im not convinced Hillary is electable - dare I say it, she would be just as polarizing as Bush, which doesnt solve anything really. Other options include John Edwards (VP candidate in 2004) and John Kerry (Useless Presidential candidate in 04) neither is particularly exciting.

So who? Al Gore has stormed back into contention following his surprise doco film hit An Inconvenient Truth, and after winning the popular vote in 2000 (but not the vital Electoral College), I rated Gore in 2000 - he didnt campaign that well, but he was probably the best VP ever. I wasn't sure he could come back though - but I think the film has been a useful vehicle. Illonois Senator Barack Obama could be an outsider - he's a first term Senator, but an incredible speaker - high profile and relatively young, not to mention - Black! He is only a first term Senator though - so maybe VP looking to build for a later Presidential run?

So my Dem picks - Gore/Obama would be fantastic. Clinton will be strong though, Im not convinced she could win though, and after 8 years of W the Democrats must win.

So my pick is McCain/Bush versus Gore/Obama. Now what a race that would be!

2 comments:

Triplux said...

Good summary of the situation. I love the US election build up. For a country with such a low voter turn out, the passion that consumes the media during this time makes for very entertaining spectating!

McCain/Bush sounds like a good pick to me, but I can't see Gore getting the nomination for the Dem's, and as much as I would like to see a woman candidate, I just don't believe either side would take this gamble right now.
I'm predicting the voting public will be be able to separate the ineptitude of the current administration from someone like McCain, and GOP will take a fairly significant victory. But there's a long way to go and anything could happen at this stage.


Enjoying your blog btw.

1. FotC are indeed the men!
2. BDO line up - a bit of a let down. However, I would go just to see Muse again, or indeed just to see The Veils alone!

beetlebum said...

Thanks very much - and welcome

I think the current Foley-GOP congress fiasco could trash the chances of the Republicans in 2008. I think the whole conservative right that came out in droves for Bush in 04 wont be there in the same numbers in light of Foley/Hastert.

My politics is definitely on the side of the Democrats - but im yet to see them run a half decent campaign - really since 1992! Three weeks ago I would have laughed at a Gore suggestion - but for me An Inconvenient Truth has breathed life into his career. Dean, Kerry and Edwards are all in not unstable - then electorally useless! And as I said think Hillary will polarise both the Democrats and the entire country.