Thursday, April 27, 2006

Knowing the difference between an album and an EP

Not exactly a new phenomena.... or so I thought....

Arctic Monkeys are releasing a follow up to their first album in the form of an EP (extended play for the uninitiated) titled - Who the Fuck Are the Arctic Monkeys? This was released on on Monday 24 April in the UK, so I thought id pop into the friendly local Sounds store on Lambton Quay to find out when its gonna come out.

I was told there wasn't a new album, they only have one album which was released in February. I said yes, but this isnt an album, its an EP and is a follow up to said album. They then said that there was a new single due shortly...... an EP isnt a single as such - its an extended single, a mini album effectively, its predominantly new music - they looked at me like I was attempting to convince them of the possibilities of time travel - the old this guys having a laugh look.

I said forget it, ill pick it up online. They then (with a sarky tone) that they could call EMI to clarify whether or not the Arctic Monkeys were releasing a new album or EP. Prick. I said good, EMI then confirmed that an EP was due but a date wasn't set. Vindication.

EPs do exist! and this fuckin pair of clown shoes now knows this.

What I dont get is how on earth can you manage a music store and not know what an EP is?

No comments: