Saturday, June 28, 2008

Go Speed Racer!


I had been intrigued by something I saw about Speed Racer on the E! channel but after I read this review in the Dominion - I just had to see it.

So I went and saw it this afternoon - and my only regret was that I wasn't high at the time, cause I think that would pretty much blow your fuckin socks off.

This is arguably one of the best cartoon/comic book adaptions because it unashamedly doesn't try to be 'gritty', 'dark', or at all worthy - this is just kick ass action and entertainment. Its like one big sugar rush, and if you were a fan of Speed Racer back in the day - you will dig this.

The Dominion captured it perfectly -
After weeks of sitting through cartoon and comic-book adaptations that have strived - hilariously - to be realistic, or even meaningful, it's a relief to see a film that takes itself seriously for not one nanosecond, and yet is still more inventive, ambitious, and impressive than Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, or any other load of po-faced twaddle that Hollywood has foisted on the nippers lately.

... Speed Racer is a hermetically sealed, candy-coated wonderland of a film.
This is a migraine of a movie - raucous, delirious, hyperkinetic, terminally daft, and very often stone-cold brilliant.
Try to picture directors Terry Gilliam and Tim Burton fighting to the death inside a pack of M&M's.

No comments: