Saturday, July 05, 2008

Shake your money maker

Got some odd looks in the office yesterday. One of my colleagues told me he is learning to play the seminal Black Crowe's track - She Talks to Angels - on his new axe (apparently you tune it funny to get the sound on the strum). So what else were we do than crack into it there and then? Fair to say we didn't get far beyond the "She never mentions the word addiction..." opening.

But anyway this caused me to do what is quickly becoming an annual event - re-listening to Shake Your Money Maker. When that album was released in 1990, Melody Maker called the Black Crowe's the most 'rock n roll' rock n roll band in the world today. I don't think they ever scaled those heights again and were quickly swamped by the Seattle/grunge invasion by Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam - but still, in their day they rocked. Below is video of their kick ass cover of Otis Reading's Hard to Handle.

Hey little thing let me light your candle
cause mama I'm sure hard to handle now, yes I am.


No comments: