Thursday, July 05, 2007

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

This week I have been listening to the new album from Chicago band, Wilco, called Sky Blue Sky.

The album is Wilco's ninth, but this is the first one I have listened to at any great length. Now im told this isnt as good as their earlier work, but regardless of that - Im loving it.

For me Jeff Tweedy's vocals are outstanding, he sounds like John Lennon during the late 60s, 'white' album era. The band clearly draw on the Beatles from that era, and you can definitely hear Dylan, Velvet Underground and alt-country influences. The album has a great raw feel to it - and I think people who dug Ryan Adams' Jacksonville or even Jeff Buckley will also like this.

Track 3, Impossible Germany has an absolutely kick ass riff that is stuck in my head. Side with the Seeds is also outstanding as is Walken and Shake it Off. But its the consistency of the album that im loving.

At this stage the album should make my highly anticipated (by me anyway! lol) albums of the year list.

Check it out - there are free previews here

1 comment:

gus said...

Great recommendation! I have it donwloaded and cranking out. Very, very cool.