Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Tate Modern


Art isnt one of my usual topics I know, but while dreaming of being on holiday this morning, I read an article about how the Tate Modern is going to expand. Tate Modern is the sister of Tate Britain or The Tate as it was known, and was opened in 2000, and because of the UK Labour govts most excellent policy of free entry to museums and galleries; instead of having 1.8m visitors per year - they get 4m! Hence the expansion. Tate was an absolute highlight of my time in London with level 5's Idea + Object and States of Flux galleries holding most of my attention - pictured is one of my favourites Jasper Johns' 0 through 9, from the State of Flux space - which also houses Warhol's Double Elvis and one of the iconic Marilyn Diptych's. Not only the art though, the Tate itself is stunning - it used to be a power station, you enter through what was the turbine hall - which is just massive. Looking at the "Pyramid" extension im not entirely sure about the design, but we'll see, and god knows London needs more stand out contempary architecture. If youre ever in London check that puppy out.

No comments: