Friday, December 22, 2006

2006 was, 2007 will be?

Welcome to Blackbird Singing's innaugural annual awards (categories will be made up as I go along)

Song of the Year: This was a tough one, but in the end there was a clear winner - Blue Sky Blues from 29 by Ryan Adams. Sooo good.

Album of the Year: Lots of good stuff this year - Arctic Monkeys, Ryan Adams (x3!), even Sonic Youth's new album was outstanding, but by years end there is only one left standing - The Life Pursuit by Belle and Sebastian. Man theyre just great, and they continue to grow on me.

Newcomer of the Year: Only one candidate for me - Arctic Monkeys. They are outstanding, everything Oasis was around 1994/95.

TV Show of the Year: Again another tough one - some great new shows came on the scene - Harvey Birdman, The Daily Show (new to NZ at least), Extras, plus shows like Family Guy seemed to come of age. But the one for me is Curb Your Enthusiasm. Some people just dont get it, but I love the show - Larry is my hero! And you know deep inside Larry is lurking within you just waiting to unleash socially inept skills on everyone you know.

Movie of the Year: Lots of good stuff this year, No. 2 which I watched last week was great. An Inconvenient Truth was stunning and definitely the Political film of the year. But Little Miss Sunshine takes the cake for me simply a stunning film.

So there you have it. A pretty good year all up, I should write some great introspective piece here, but frankly im not nearly drunk enough for that!

2007 should be another great year too for sooo many reasons. A new job, with any luck Little Britain Live in Sydney, and then three weddings!

First up is Angus and Karen in Foxton (according to the welcome signs it's the Fox-town of New Zealand, Karen had her heart set on a Fox fur dress, so really there was no other option*).

The second one is very exciting (not that the others arent) - Dot and Georgia are getting Civil Unionised - which is my first Civil Union ceremony, im very excited about that! and thirdly is Misty and Michael at Wharerata in Palmerston North (the only people who took my advice on venues, so I have a vested interest in saying this will be the best one!)

So bring on 2007.

* - To any animal activists scouring the interweb for animal genocide, or other such horrors - before you get the red paint ready to throw - I am joking about the Fox fur dress!

No comments: