Tuesday, December 04, 2007

NZ's actual best soul singer


I bought Whirimako Black's new album, the imaginatively titled 'Whirimako Black Sings' as a Christmas present for my old man (along with a pair of Man Pants screenprinted with a weta from the very excellent Wanda Harland store in Petone - he said "he always needs new underwear" when I asked him what he wanted."). So I gave it the obligatory listen - and I absolutely love it.

Black beats the pants off the highly touted Holly Smith. Smith is young and great and funky and all that - but for absolute cool factor, Black is fantastic. She comfortably pulls off a traditional soul style - while dropping in phrases of Te Reo. If you dig soul music at all (or think Holly Smith is great) - check it out, you're bound to dig it (or buy it for your parents and take a listen).

No comments: