Thursday, December 27, 2007

Review of 07 part one

I see in the Sunday Star Times in an interview with our Helen, that her favourite film of the year was The History Boys - so I thought I should come up with my own little list.

Although before I go on, I am interested to know what others thought of that film. Obviously I liked it, but it's treatment of what was essentially kiddy-fiddling irked me a bit - or am I being a little over dramatic?

Its been a long and winding year for film - so many good ones kicked it off, but to be fair it did slow a bit.

Notes on a Scandal was great, as was the Last King of Scotland. The Queen was way better than expected, and For Your Consideration was the opposite. Shortbus was fantastic (I still laugh when I think of the old lady who litterally fell out of seat) and Pans Labyrinth was amazing. Also I shouldnt forget Transformers - it was more than meets the eye and 300.

I should also mention a couple of NZ efforts - Black Sheep was hilarious, as was Eagle vs Shark and The Devil Dared Me To from the Back of the Y guys was pretty good. At the other end of the scale, Out of the Blue, was incredibly well done - especially given the risky nature of the material.

On the doco front there was Michael Moore's Sicko which was ok, and the excellent but scary Jesus Camp.

But I actually think that while it may not fit the usual mould - By the power of Greyskull, my film of 2007 is Hot Fuzz. Now of course this is as much about attending the premiere and what not, as it is about being a kick ass film. I don't care - I think it ruled. To borrow from Spaced - Hot Fuzz was TFU (The Fuckest Uppest).

No comments: