Saturday, March 29, 2008

Helvetica


The annual international cinema showcase is on again at the Paramount. This is the smaller and (imho) often better precursor to the larger International Film Festival in June.

Today I checked out Helvetica, which was a movie all about the typeface, modernism and well design in general.

Of course its the simplicity of helvetica that makes it so great and is the reason why it is almost invisible today. So invisible in fact that I hadn't even noticed that the Wilco hoody I was wearing (and that I bought at their kick ass gig!) also used the font! As one of the interviewees said - its almost like noticing and having an opinion on off-white paint.

Its definitely worth a watch if you're interested in design... or fonts.

Anyway tonight is the Bob Dylan film - I'm Not There - can't wait!

No comments: