Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wailing like its 1998

I've just got back from one of the best gigs I think I've been to - Wilco at the Opera House.

Jeff Tweedy was naturally impressive on the mic, but the musicianship of the whole band is what really caught me. The lead guitarist, Nels Cline, was just incredible - I haven't seen someone wail and own their guitar like that since Jonny Greenwood in 1998. Below is video from another Wilco gig of Cline wailing during Impossible Germany - sound isn't great but you get the idea eh.



Impossible Germany was wicked as was I am Trying to Break Your Heart, Jesus Etc, Walken, You Are My Face and Side with the Seeds, but one of the highlights had to be Tweedy's interaction with the crowd.

He asked whether or not it was a NZ custom to wear black-heavy metal t-shirts on Easter Monday (in reference to the Ozzy/Kiss/Alice Cooper/Poison etc stadium show) and later one of the keyboardists/guitarists and Tweedy both did impressions of Ozzy - shuffling around the stage. Also both keyboardists and the drummer stood up - glam rock style with their arms raised before Heavy Metal Drummer.

It was a great show with some incredible performances. If you get the chance to see them live - I fully recommend it.

No comments: