Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Globes 07

Golden Globes were last night, and I managed to pick all three of the majors!

Babel predictably won Best Picture (Drama), but I was annoyed that Little Miss Sunshine missed out in the Best Picture (Musical or Comedy) section to Beyonce's musical Dreamgirls (that just sounds like quality doesnt it?).

I had only seen the trailer for the Last King of Scotland, but on the basis of that I was picking Forest Whitaker to take out Best Actor (Drama), who went on to win! The film is about former Ugandan dictator (who had a thing for military regalia - and kilts hence the title) Idi Amin and looks great.

Predictably Helen Mirren won Best Actress (Drama) for her role as Elizabeth II in The Queen and Best Actress (TV Mini Series or TV Movie) for her title role in Elizabeth I - which must be a first to win two awards for playing both Queen Elizabeth's in a single year? The Queen shouldnt be underestimated as a film - I was expecting a Doco Chanel style biopic, but this is a great insight into the royal family and their thinking. Its also a little reminder of how good Tony Blair was - but thats enough of that!

Sacha Baron Cohen also picked up Best Actor (Musical or Comedy) for Borat which was great to see - he also had one of the best speeches for the evening too - which ill leave you with.

" I was faced with a choice - death or to breathe in the air that had been trapped in a small pocket between his buttocks for 30 years. Kenneth, if it was not for that small rancid bubble, I would not be here today."

No comments: