Monday, February 12, 2007

Don't make yourself busy son

Australian Prime Minister, John Howard has mouthed off criticising Barack Obama, and the Democrats for saying that the US should get out of Iraq by March 2008.

The conservative leader said that Obama's pledges on Iraq were good news only for insurgents operating in the war-ravaged country.

"I think he's wrong. I think that will just encourage those who want to completely destabilise and destroy Iraq, and create chaos and a victory for the terrorists to hang on and hope for an Obama victory"
"If I were running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and be praying as many times as possible for a victory not only for Obama but also for the Democrats."

To which Obama responded:

"I think it's flattering that one of George Bush's allies on the other side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced"
"I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops in Iraq, and my understanding is Mr Howard has deployed 1,400, so if he is ... to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq.
"Otherwise it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric."

No comments: