Saturday, May 17, 2008

1990 revisited


Last week I was flicking through a college yearbook and it had a reference to a teacher going all 'anti-establishment' and showing early 90s uber teen-angst flick, Pump up the Volume, to his class. So I thought what better way to get over my hangover than to charge down to Aro Video and grab a copy.

The first time I saw it most of the lines were way over my head (given I was 11 at the time) but I can remember revisiting a year or so later and I loved it.

It stars Christian Slater (who else?) as a high school student who by day is a quiet bookish student but who runs an anarchistic pirate radio show by night using the pseudonym, Happy Harry Hard on. All goes well with a large cult following amongst the student body building until one of his listeners tops themselves and school staff try to shut it down.

Its funny in a way that so many of the issues that the film touches on are still relevant today - only nowadays Happy Harry would be running a blog or vlog. It's a good watch - plus it features a pretty sweet soundtrack, especially Harry's theme - Leonard Cohen's Everybody Knows.

I think I'm gonna have to break out Heathers next!

1 comment:

tinks said...

Arrr - best movie ever.