Thursday, June 15, 2006

Bloody hell

WARNING: Content is a tad disgusting.

Not sure how widely I had told the story of my blocked drain earlier this year, and you need to know the backstory to frame todays episode- so heres a little background.

Earlier in the year I heard a gurgling sound, went into the bathroom and found the bowl full - so i flushed and it went away - later that night there was more gurgling - but this time not just water was returned - in fact not too much water at all! This time the returned goods couldnt be flushed however, so I had to use a tupperware container (bucket wouldnt fit - so it was that, a dessert bowl, or a saucepan) to pitch the water - out the window. Now while i was scooping this out, I was recalling my recent "stools" and thinking that there was nothing that could have caused this level of blockage?? And then it appeared. A fucking tampon (hence the name of the article). You see my drain is shared with the flat above. So I got the drain unblockers around and they fished out all sorts of goodies including two, yes two maxi pads. Lovely. So that was sorted, toilet flushed again, we got on with the refurbishments etc.

But, this morning..... gurgling. So I yell (while in the shower) you fucking dirty bitch! Not my finest moment. Anyway so I get some more drain people around - these guys were the real deal with a camera and big machine thing. The only problem (well aside from the cost this time - $700) was these guys were so good they found that the bloody maxi pads werent the problem (though they didnt help). No no, it turns out roots have invaded the pipes and are blocking the drain - catching all the toilet paper, tampons etc.

So, now we (me and the owner of the flat above) have to replace the pipes in the ground. Luckily the City Council at sometime had replaced two thirds of it. If they hadnt the estimated cost was approx $17-19 000. Since they had though its only gonna cost $4000.

On a lighter note - their (the drain guys) slogan is "Our business is in the shit". Fantastic.

Anyway - so now not only do I have to fork out $2000, I now have to avoid my neighbour after calling her a fucking dirty bitch. Cue the Curb your Enthusiasm theme!

3 comments:

karen said...

my brothers friends is a plumber, gurgling toilets are way more disgusting for them. he also has to have chats with ladies from time to time about what is and isn't flushable. some people really are dense though.
this guy is pretty rich.... now i understand why. outrageous what they charge

beetlebum said...

Yeah its lovely - funny thing happenned too one of the guys only just remembered to not wipe his brow! ewwww

gus said...

great story. loving the title too.