Sunday, August 10, 2008

How good were they?

Well a couple of weeks ago I nicely put my foot in it (as most of you know) when I was (drunkenly) talking (like the expert I am) about our medal hopes for the games when 'someone' said to look out for the Evers-Swindell twins taking Gold - and I mocked this saying something like - Ha! Bronze at best.... forgetting that the person I was talking to was an Olympic Rowing Bronze medalist... nice one! Thats right up there with inadvertently taking highly strung lesbians to an evening of stand up jokes about lesbians! But probably not as bad as my other recent faux-pas - I was giving a colleague from Christchurch shit for not being at work on a particular Friday - long weekend haha etc etc - she replied oh no I was shifting my husbands stuff out as he has left me. Brilliant, glad I brought it up.

Its been a great year. lol

But anyway - turns out he might have been on the money as the twins stormed back into contention last night qualifying directly for the final. Rowing on the whole seemed to go well - Waddell and Cohen turned it on in the last 1000m to come from a boat length behind to take it by a length, the twins were like some sort of possessed machine (in a good way - not like Terminator), Twigg looked strong and Drysdale was predictably dominant.

Also while we're on rowing - there was a great doco on TVNZ 7 last night about the 1984 rowing 8s, following their campaign start to finish - but don't worry I won't mock their fourth placing out of fear of offending anyone else! A cool thing I found was on the World Rowing website - results from all Olympic games with times etc - i find this sort of stuff fascinating.

No comments: