Sunday, August 24, 2008

Like the Phantom Menace... only worse

I went to the new Star Wars film over the weekend. Stupidly I thought - it can't possibly be any worse than Attack of the Clones or the Phantom Menace... Oh how wrong I was.

While the animation kicked ass and a lot of the action sequences were great - the script was absolutely diabolical. It was sooo painfully lame - almost every line you rolled your eyes. I can't explain just how rubbish it was - it was like some sort of cruel and unusual torture, akin to having your finger nails removed.

From the very beginning it was doomed to failure - they replaced the scrolling yellow text with a daft voice-over - WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ABOUT?

Unbelievable new Jarjar-like comic elements such as Anakin's Padawan learner, Asoka, and the lame slapstick bits with the battle droids just made it even more horrific, but the nicknames they had for each other really took the cake ('Sky Guy' and 'Snips') causing widespread involuntary groans at regular intervals.

I would normally talk about the story - but forget it - we walked out after roughly 45-50 minutes.

George Lucas can not write and he should not be allowed to do anything but act as producer in future.

This was probably the worst film I have ever seen - right up there with Battlefield Earth.

3 comments:

Martha Craig said...

I've wanted to see Battlefield Earth forever, but not so much that I actually would ever pay money to rent it (even for $1, because there is always the chance I wouldn't want to return it...)

Martha Craig said...

that's right, today I don't make sense.

beetlebum said...

Oh its totally worth a dollar... not much more than that though.

I was 'lucky' enough to see it on late night TV one time - it was all I had dreamed it would be.

How are those Albatrosses?