Sunday, August 03, 2008

I wanted to believe

I checked out the X-Files: I want to believe tonight and thankfully it didn't have any of the god damn aliens that haunted the first film in 1998 - but it did feature the old school theme, which brought the memories flooding back.

But while it was great to see Mulder and Scully back on screen I felt it was just lacking something and frankly it felt more like an extended TV-film rather than a proper motion picture.

The story was ok - although I did have to laugh at its similarity to a particular episode of The League of Gentlemen. Basically the FBI call back Mulder, who is in hiding living conspicuously as Scully's lover while she works as a surgeon, after a psychic priest gets visions of where a missing FBI agent is.

Frankly you get a bit sick of the whole on again/off again nature of Mulder and Scully's relationship and Scully's willingness to go back - you just want them to suck it up and get on with it already.

It did make me wonder if the future of the X-Files could be a series of annual TV mini-series'?

Check it out if you're a fan from back in the day - but it basically is just a new extended episode.

No comments: