Saturday, August 09, 2008

Limpuc Games

I love the Olympics and on paper this is looking like a great games for New Zealand - world class rowing crews for africa, Valerie Vili in the shot put, Hayden Roulston in the cycling, Ben Fouhy in the kayaking, Sarah Walker in the BMX, Bevan Docherty in the triathlon and of course the reliable Barbara Kendall.

And this year TVNZ have upped their coverage with their usual coverage on TV1, a dedicated Olympic channel on Freeview and two other streaming online channels. Its a real shame they still drag out Keith Quinn and John McBeth every four years - I mean Murray Mexted may say some daft things, but at least he has a pulse. I love the way they felt there was a need to inform us that they were fireworks that were going off - yeah thanks Keith I think we can work that out.

But anyway I couldnt resist the pull and ended up buying a Freeview box today. Yes yes I already have Sky - but you can't get the extra Freeview channels (including the extra Olympic channel) on Sky! For our overseas readers - Freeview is based on the UK digital platform with the same name that the BBC run - its like Sky, but funnily enough free - but you do have to buy a set top box for around $200.

Its great though - took all of 10 minutes to set up (assuming you already have a Sky dish) and now I have the best of both worlds! Plus I know a few people who have been considering getting a box so I figure I can flog it off after the games if I stop using it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - we have the british freeview, but unlike the NZ one it only costs £20!

beetlebum said...

Yeah probably something to do with the slightly bigger market to spread the load? But it 2 hundy does seem like a rort! Plus I get Sky for free - so was reluctant to buy box anyway!

It hacks me off though that Freeview (TVNZ, Maori TV and TV3) and Sky havent done a deal to show their free content on each others networks - they would make more advertising money with a potentially bigger market, surely!

Sky should allow Prime and maybe even Sky News to be on Freeview and in return TVNZ 6 and 7, the Olympic channel and the two new TV 3 channe;s when launched could be on Sky.